As reported very early this morning by WoW Insider, the latest Mists of Pandaria beta build is showing account-wide mounts now. I hopped onto beta for a little bit to test out what exactly was included and it’s definitely in the very early stages of implementation. So far it looks like most of your mounts will be carried over to any character you make, with some notable exceptions:
- Mounts that are from items (Tarecgosa)
- Faction-specific rewards or vendor mounts (Argent Tournament mounts, racial mounts, Venomhide Ravasaur/Winterspring Frostsaber)
- Class-specific mounts, despite there being reports otherwise (I doubt Blizzard will let this go through.)
What does seem to be included in account-wide mounts:
- Achievement mounts that any of your toons acquire
- Mounts that drop from holiday boxes, rare spawns, or bosses
- Vendor purchased mounts that use a common faction currency (Netherdrakes)
- BOE mounts (Sandstone drake)
- Non-faction specific RAF rewards. (Swift Zhevra, X-53 Touring Rocket)
The only mounts I cannot accurately comment on are profession-specific mounts, since I believe those would be copied but non-usable due to profession requirements.
Right now, the account-wide mount page seems to only propagate per-server, meaning stuff acquired on one server works like heirlooms and can’t be used on another server. This is a bit of a downside for those of us who are achievement/mount hunters on more than one server but that’ll just keep us going a bit more.
I’m really excited about this! It had been rumored for a while, especially with how we’ve seen pets and achievements being implemented account-wide. As someone who has a mount habit that spans several characters, this means that all my characters get to benefit from whatever my main does, especially when it comes to getting to ride around on bad-ass mounts. As you can see from the picture above, my Horde mage is now riding around on the Crimson Deathcharger my main has and hasn’t found time to really ride since Icecrown Citadel. It also means anyone who did Long Strange Trip on one toon (mostly due to how horrible School of Hard Knocks is) can share the love. It can also ease the pain of RNG woes on alts, or allow people to swap mains easier without feeling tied to that one special mount (like Ashes of A’lar) that they might have acquired.
Note: There is also a “no mount” bug going on that will hit your toons and wipe out your “mount bank” so to speak, making all of your characters lose their mounts. If this happens, re-copy your main (or mount collector) toon over to the beta again, log in to “refill” your mounts, and then log off. Don’t play this character as it might get bugged. (Thanks to Matthew Rossi from WoW Insider for tip!)